Keep fighting the good fight. Never stop inventing yourself. Keep investing in the people around you.
Why should anyone respect triggers?
I’ll bite: It’s not that you should silence yourself to avoid triggers. Being an empathic and constructive person means recognizing that words are powerful. They give and take opportunity from you and others every day. If you have an important message that is worded carefully, it can create some good in this world. If that message triggers rage, panic, or hatred in someone else, then one can only hope that this person would develop the strength to control their emotions and join in a constructive conversation. Humor can also be really powerful for building morale and harmony if done right.
On the other hand: saying things purely to demoralize people is childish at best and imperialist at worst. PTSD from war, rape, and other acts of violence is real and should not be trivialized. Callousness to those issues is divisive to your community. That said, I think the line is where you cannot be blamed for setting someone off unless you were bullying them.
I go to the dog park and I accidentally forget I’m wearing a super political Desmond Tutu shirt. This old dude bro comes up to me and says “that’s a cool shirt, if you can define what oppression is”
Bashfully I explain “well, I’m not actively oppressed right now obviously, but as a woman, and a woman that likes other women-“
Dude bro cuts me off and blathers on about that shit all being in my head, which is super awesome because I was already too embarrassed to bring up the stigma of being an actual crazy person. It’s like, dude, you’re playing life on easy mode, shut the fuck up.
He then proceeds to leave the park, telling his dogs it’s time to go swimming. In the pool. That he owns.
Typical baby boomer bullshit
What a wanker. Why would he be offended by Desmond Tutu, and what makes him think you have to explain anything to him?
Also, the bar for oppression is low. You can be oppressed by heat and bad breath.
4. the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse conditions, anxiety, etc.
Crowds of Brunswick County residents showed up in force in Lawrenceville earlier this month to oppose sheltering unaccompanied Central American teenagers, who made it into the country without adults. The proposed temporary site is a local high school. The crowds evidently believed that the kids, who are essentially refugees from the legacy of American intervention in their nations of origin, are a danger to national security, and should instead be locked in a nearby abandoned prison.
Micheal Paul Williams reports.
Today’s Classic: Bad Girls and Bat Wings
1. Albert-Joseph Pénot, Bat Woman (1890)
2. Jószef Arpád Koppay, Lion and Woman with Devil Bat Wings Chained Together (date unknown)
3. Johann Heinrich Füssli, The Mad Kate (1807)
4. Gabriel Ferrier, Moonlit Dreams (1874)
5. Vasily Kotarbinsky, Dark Star (date unkwown)
if yr atheism involves belittling people’s faith and attempting to prove to everyone that god doesn’t exist don’t talk to me don’t come near me don’t breathe on me thanks
Also dont be a dick! which is kind of saying the above, but still!
Seriously, it’s like: Fuck off, I don’t want to hear about your new religion. When I found Jesus, he was dead. We’re not, so let’s talk about that instead.
I went to see Dave Brat today at a Randroid meetup in Richmond:
- He supports “clamping down” on the border and protectionist economic policies yet pays lip service to free markets
- He wants to take politics out of the military in favor of a more “management” style of control (fascism) and give them whatever they want, yet also wants a small government. Figure that one out.
- He promised to oppose every bill that gives money to Obamacare, effectively defunding it. That can have unintended consequences, knowing that politicians like to bundle these budget proposals to get bipartisan support. (I actually don’t like ACA, but now that the government has control, taking money away from it without allowing and fostering alternatives in the market will fuck us hard).
- He wants to take a “state’s rights” approach to social issues and have “50 experiments in 50 states.” Sucks for the bible belt, but headed in the right direction, I guess… Don’t know how I feel about this one.
- He said he wants to keep things civil between himself and the other candidate, but repeatedly accused the other guy of not having a degree and of being a fraud.
Verdict: Lying shitbag fascist, just like most other politicians. Go fuck yourself, Dave Brat.